Applying to the £eith Chooses fund is more of a ‘process’ than one-off act.
- You will be thinking about projects you / your group are keen to put into practice.
- Have a read of the Themes, the Rules and the Guidance , so your project will ‘fit’.
- Think about how much it might all cost and therefore which ‘pot’ of money you think you should apply to.
- Come and talk to us about it! This is a chance for you to ask questions; ‘brainstorm ‘ about how best to frame and present your application; and to get help, if you need it, with developing a Constitution and getting a bank account (not required for Small grants, but necessary for Medium & Large grants). It can be useful to use other people, who are slightly more detached, as a ‘sounding board’ for shaping ideas.
Our Help and Support Sessions will be starting the week beginning 11th December and running through December and January (with a wee break for Christmas and New Year holidays). These will be very informal. Their aim is simply to encourage groups to apply, and to provide whatever support is needed. They will be held in
Mondays – Leith Library (Ferry Road)
Tuesdays – MacDonald Road Library
Wednesdays – Community Centre, Newkirkgate
Thursdays – The Hub, Restalrig Road
Exact dates & times will be posted very soon.
You can apply to one of three funds:
- Small Grants (up to £500)
- Medium grants (£501 – £5,000) constituted groups only
- Large Grants (£5,001 – £10,000) constituted groups only
You don’t have to apply for the maximum amount, just what you estimate your project will need.
Look through the page tabs along the top and you’ll find the basic ‘need to know’ information about how to apply for funding to £EITH CHOOSES. We’ll be adding to these pages and filling out further details, as time goes along, so please do keep checking in.
If you have any queries, please email firstname.lastname@example.org .and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
We’ll also be posting the exact dates, times and venues for Help and Support Sessions through December and January that you can come along to, as often as you wish, for an informal conversation that hopefully will help you to sort out any issues and to get a good application form together.
We were delighted to welcome so many people to the Launch and first Funding Workshop of £eith Chooses last night – nearly forty Leithers came along to hear what it’s all about, ask questions, discuss ideas, and take away a set of Guidance Notes and Application Forms, hopefully to start preparing project applications.
Leith Walk Councillor Marion Donaldson opened the event with a short but inspiring speech about how Leith has been an early player in the development of participatory budgeting, (PB) which is now a worldwide movement giving local people more control over how funds are spent in their own areas. She stressed that the benefits of PB are not merely financial. Arguably, the biggest benefit is that of increasing local community engagement and strength – the chance for people to come together, find out what’s happening in their area, think about their own values and what they want for their community.
John Tibbitt, Vice Chair of Leith Links Community Council, explained briefly the differences between past PB events in Leith (£eith Decides, and, last year, the Leith Links Community Links Fund). To qualify for our generous grant from Scottish Government, we needed to show that we were developing our model of PB.
- Partnership – the three Leith Community Councils are working together with City of Edinburgh Council as equal partners, to deliver a more community-led event and with more funds than ever before to allocate to local projects.
- Themes – All project applications need to demonstrate how they fit the themes identified as priorities for Leith (through consultation by Leith Creative, NE Locality Plan etc.)
- Access for small and unconstituted groups to small grants aimed at ‘Encouraging Neighbourliness and building community spirit’
- Simpler voting system – An easier and more direct way of voting..
What is £EITH CHOOSES?
£EITH CHOOSES is a way for local people to choose the projects in their area that they want to see getting funded. Funding depends on how the community in Leith votes.
Everybody over 8 years old, who lives, works, volunteers or studies in Leith can vote. We want as many people as possible to take part. But voting is not until February/March 2018.
For the moment, applications are being requested from groups that have ideas for projects that would benefit people / the community in Leith. Help to get an application together is available – see Help and Support Sessions page.
BIGGER & BETTER THAN EVER BEFORE
For 2017/ 2018 there is an amazing £116,000 altogether available for projects. That money comes from funding obtained by Leith Links Community Council from Scottish Government (Community Choices Fund) put together with £44,000 from the Community Grants Fund monies that is allocated to the Leith Neighbourhood Partnership by City of Edinburgh Council. See our Grant Pots, Themes, and Rules pages.
The Launch and first Funding Workshop is tonight, Wednesday 22nd November 2017. Do please come along and hear what it’s all about, discuss ideas and meet possible (project) partners, grab a set of Guidance Notes and Application Forms, have a Tunnocks teacake….